Saturday, February 8, 2014

12th Man....

So, its old news by now, but the Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl this year.  Woot woot!  It was so fun to be a part of the excitement, and Maeve even got into it.  I'm not sure anyone talked about much else for several days post the big game either.  As I mentioned, I got hit with a stomach bug on Monday and I was feeling considerably better by Wednesday, but still wasn't feeling 100% and therefore needed to call in sick because I hadn't been symptom free for 48 hours yet.  Not a problem... I can certainly lay low on the couch for the day after taking Maeve to daycare. (I rarely get free days, so I'm not wasting a daycare day when I have them).  But, there was a celebratory parade scheduled on Wednesday too....

So, the Maeve drop off happened and I was getting comfortable on the couch and turned on the TV... and they kept flashing to the preparations of the parade in Seattle.  And, so many people on Facebook were chatting about being downtown waiting for the parade too.  'Ahhhhhh... I'm missing out on something.  I can't handle missing out on something big.  I can't believe that I'm not downtown too... Ahhhhh... Quick.  Make a decision!'  So, I jump back into my car and race back to daycare and pick up Maeve and tell her we're going to a big parade.  Confused and excited, Maeve happily agrees and waves goodbye to her friends and teachers.  We race back home, grab a few snacks, and run out the door to catch the bus... We literally jammed ourselves into the bus.  (It reminded me of the old Japanese footage I was shown in elementary school of people wearing white gloves shoving commuters into trains... we needed a few of those people).  By now I'm feeling nauseated again, but I was determined to rally.  So, off to the parade route we went... along with over 700,000 fans.  Way to represent, Seattle!


En route to a fun adventure...

We situated ourselves on the beginning part of the parade...  Choosing a shady section later proved to be a poor choice, however... Brrrrrrr.  It was 12F with windchill (appropriate temperature, but I would've settled for warmer however).  I thought we bundled adequately, but that turned out to not be the case for standing over 3 hours in one spot.  It was COLD...  

Thankfully I brought snacks... 

It could not be more beautiful....

Unfortunately the parade was delayed for more than an hour (players couldn't get to the start due to the massive crowds that showed up for their parade)... and we ended up waiting more than 2 1/2 hours for it to start... Feeding the line, 'its just about to start' wore out eventually.  But, my little 12th child managed to hang in there adequately well.

She even managed to have a cat nap...

Finally the parade showed up!  My phone kept dying because it was so cold, so I didn't get many pictures of the players, but you can see Russell here.  Maeve kept yelling "Seahawks" along with the crowd and was shyly waving to them.  

Although Maeve was a little cold and didn't like waiting as long as we did, I do think it was important to bring Maeve down to the parade in the end.  I want her to know that its important for her embrace and cheer on her city.  Whether you like football or not, it was definitely a unifying thing in Seattle... and Seattle was proud of Seattle.  It was nice to be a part of this positive energy, and I want Maeve to start appreciating this type of mindset.  

Congratulations Seattle Seahawks and Seattle's 12th man...

No comments: