Sunday, May 12, 2013

ER Visit #2

If you'll recall this incident 2.5 years ago, it brings you up to speed as to why we made an appearance in Children's new ER last week.  Well, it turns out a chunk of glass had been left in her head and her body had finally decided it was done with the intruder and worked itself out... mostly.

I had been watching her incision for the last couple of months because all of a sudden it looked bigger and I could move something around... (yes, hindsight is 20:20, but I didn't know that I was looking for glass!).  I even had my friend check it out and we had essentially decided she had built up some scar tissue/keloid.  It didn't seem to bother Maeve except she started to notice her scar and would sometimes pick at it and make it bleed (yes, yes... its perfectly clear now).  Maeve's 4 year appointment is in a couple of weeks and I was just going to have her doctor peek at it then.

So, turns out she started reflecting in the sunshine at daycare.  Her teacher called me late in the day explaining she thought something was coming out of Maeve's head (that's always an awesome way to start the conversation...)  She was picking woodchips out of Maeve's hair and got scratched by her 'scar' too.  Upon further review, it was clear that something, ie glass was coming out.  

Alrighty then...  we'd best get that taken care of.  So, we had to go to the ER because it was clear they had to cut it out.. and, I didn't want to leave it in as two corners of the glass were poking out and I didn't want her to cut herself... (Although, I bet within a week, it would have been out on its own... something wrong with leaving glass in your kid's head though).

 There was a bit of a wait in the ER, so we took off so I could show her my new work space... we moved our unit into the new building a few weeks ago.

Watching a movie, playing with my iPhone... life was pretty good for Maeve, actually. 

If you look closely, you can see two corners coming out... 

A sleepy, versed-drugged girl...  She remembers nothing -- only the fun parts. 

And, there's the chunk of glass...

It was a very late night/early morning, but at the end of the day, I'll take this kind of ER visit anytime -- especially based on the floor I work on (although I do feel like it should be a free visit since they should've gotten the glass out the first time... minor details.  I'm going to see about that)...

By the way... Maeve likes to tell people that I hit her and put glass in her head.  So, there's that.  ha ha.

No comments: