Sunday, January 13, 2013

Life with Maeve...

I have written a few gems down, which I should post here so they don't get lost...  3 1/2 -- so incredibly fun and interesting, and also requires a fair amount of patience and grace on the parent's part.  Sometimes its like a ticking time bomb, where you don't quite know what the trigger will be, and you're not quite sure when total irrationality will take place.  You also are never quite sure what will come out of their mouth at any given time, usually in a public place...  It definitely keeps life interesting and laughing, unless you're drinking just trying to cope.  Ha.

In all seriousness, Maeve is a kick -- she's funny, dramatic, independent, and a big time snuggler.  In no particular order, here is our life at the moment:

"I'm the leader!!"  And, don't even think about getting in front of her... or you'll hear about it.  "I beat you" or "I'm first" are also heard very frequently... its all fine and dandy when its just you and Maeve, but we learned that these strong opinions don't go over very well when there are 2 -- 3 year olds thinking the same thing.  Case in point -- today on the ski slopes when Maeve and Bennett were yelling at each other that they were the leader and they finished first.  Like an old married couple, honestly....

Me -- "So, Maeve... would you like option A or option B?"  Maeve -- "I'll take option C"

The girl wants to negotiate everything....  and its funny when she doesn't even get the concept of what she's negotiating, but she wants the control, and therefore wants to dictate the terms and conditions...

Me -- "Who's the boss, Maeve?"
Maeve -- "I am"
Me-- "Try again"
Maeve -- "Mommy and me"... ha

I swear, sometimes I have no idea what she's trying to tell me.  She'll speak random spanish words, french words, and then decide to speak in riddle... its anybody's game.

You know you're in her bad books when she has uninvited you to her future birthday party... thankfully, I have always been re-invited back.  Lucky for her, if she wants a birthday party, I say...

She can incessantly ask to watch something on TV... it can drive me batty.  This is a conversation we had recently:
Me -- "Maeve, when this show is over, we are not watching anymore TV today.  Do you understand? Because you know how much it bothers me when you keep asking"
Maeve -- "I know, because it bothers ME when you keep saying 'no'....

"When I was a baby...." she tells me factual tales, and fictional tales of her earlier years all the time...

She is so animated with her arms, body, and facial expressions when she tells stories.  Her inflections are so funny too, and she can be known to throw in "blah blah blah" in the middle of her tales...

She is all about being fancy... She is taking creative ballet and is all over it.  I bought her a new leotard and tights yesterday, as we were just making due with a makeshift outfit for class.  Well, I think she has actually died and gone to heaven.  From the moment she put it on, she has been doing her dance positions, plie's, and curtsey's...  Its absolutely adorable.  She even talked me into wearing it to bed last night -- with her tutu, and ballet slippers. Everyday she is becoming more 'girly', and as much as I'm not 'girly' myself, I have to say, its pretty cute.



No comments: