Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Camp Side by Side 2012

We headed back to Camp Side by Side this summer.  We took last year off, but Maeve is at a better age to resume our volunteering role.  Camp Side by Side is a family camp for families who have a child with cancer, or completed therapy.  It is such a energy boosting week for me to see our patients, and their families, have a fantastic time.  It is something you see very rarely in the hospital and I am proud to play a small part in their enjoyment.  It is also so great to see kids post therapy that I haven't seen in a long time... this camp is so needed by many of our families, but I really think that I need it too.

It is great to come to camp and volunteer because we also love those who volunteer alongside us.  It is really fun.  Maeve loved it because she was able to continue her fun with Pax, Beckett, Daphne, and Fiona.  She is wondering where her friends are now that we're back at home.

I am lucky because I get to bring Maeve along with me... and as far as she was concerned, she enjoyed a week of camp herself.  The meaning of camp was lost on her, but soon enough I hope to have this week be a meaningful week of volunteering for both of us. Maeve ran alongside all the children who were at camp, and therefore was assigned a buddy to play with her and do all that she wanted.  How lucky were we that Josie, or Jo Jo, was Maeve's buddy.  Josie is such a sweet and amazing young lady -- she was ultra patient with an, umm, sometimes bossy and sassy 3 year old (I talked to Maeve about that...).  She could not have been more kind, generous, and willing.  Thank you Josie...  you are awesome.

Another sad story to tell about my camera -- so taking my camera camping the week before was disappointing due to the missing battery that I'd left at home... but what turned out to be more disappointing was discovering that I had broken my lens on the camping trip (I may have stupidly thrown the camera in a bag of random items instead of the camera case).  The autofocus is shot.  So, due to my frustration I took only a handful of photos.  I also knew that Misha was taking about 300+ photos a day as the camp photographer, and I plan on getting my hands on the DVD.   But, what camp and my work teaches me... there are definitely much bigger problems to have than a broken lens.  I'll deal.  No problem.  

Here are some shots.  I can't include campers... so here are mostly Maeve and Josie :-)

Buddy pairing... 


Lollipops... a daily treat (maybe more often...) 


A canoe ride -- with Sam.   


Maeve and Grace heading down the slip 'n slide... 


Happy slip 'n sliders... 


Sweet Josie 


Beckett... sweet look, dude... 


Josie and Maeve on a horse ride... 


I'm not scared... 


Love from Josie and Annie at once... 


Sweet girls... 


Work Crew Leaders... Dan was committed to wearing his camp shirt every day... 


Maeve loved club... she was dancing to Lance's music and belting out the words...

No comments: