Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bye Bye Thumb...

And, its begun. An attempt to break a fierce habit of Maeve's -- thumbsucking. A big part of me is sad because I have to acknowledge that my baby is no longer a baby. And, I feel nostalgic too -- thumbsucking was such a vital part of her coping and soothing during our bonding and attachment phase. It still provides comfort for her when she's upset, but its mostly just a habit now, so we need to find other ways to fill this void as her teeth are starting to take a hit.

Maeve wasn't really psyched about giving up the thumb, but with a little sugar motivation, I'm hoping this will go okay. I never had to bribe her for potty training, so this is a new arena for me. Maeve will get a lollipop everyday during this new transition... lollipops are like crack to her, so I'm hoping its enough. I applied a touch of mavala stop on her thumb nail and we're now 5 hours in. There was been some drooling, spitting, and 'owie...owie' (aka ewwww...), but overall she's doing well. Her major temper tantrum at the playground earlier today was coincidental, I'm hoping. However, I am anticipating some restless sleep over the next couple of weeks (she sucks her thumb in her sleep)... but, between me being sleep deprived anyway (my latest late night addiction are the Hunger Game series), and the sun waking up a little person earlier than normal, I figure now is the time to get this done.

Wish us luck....


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Good luck to both of you. I can't recall any children's books about stopping thumb sucking but will take a look and forward you any titles.

Team Todhunter said...

Looking forward to hear how it goes! We tried Mavala with Greta... she sucked her thumb anyways!! Oh yeah, didn't care one bit about how nasty it tasted.

Holly said...

We knew a kid who slept in a long sleeve t-shirt with a mitten sewn on. :) Worked perfectly! Except for the tears... She is growing up so fast!