Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Who'd Have Thunk It....

I'm getting a bit crafty? (Carin, its okay... we can still be friends). I was recently introduced to Pinterest, and it has provided me with a few ideas. I was inspired by this post -- I have been looking for the perfect growth chart for a while now. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out... What do you think?

I just bought a plank of wood at Home Depot, stained it 3 times, and then got out my trusty ruler and pencil and started marking off lines... (3 inches for the numbers, 2 inches for the quarters, and 1 inch for the rest)... I then went over all my pencil markings with my newly purchased Sharpie paint pen.


Next step was putting on the numbers. Amy printed off numbers for me, I rubbed the back with pencil, and then just traced them onto the board with a pencil so that it left an outline on my new 'ruler'. My Sharpie paint pen was utilized again. When all was said and done, I just put a clear finish on it. Total cost of all products, stains, and finish... less than $20. Love that.


The hardest part was hanging it on the wall... there may be a few holes that are conveniently covered up by our new growth chart, maybe :-)

5 comments:

annieglan said...

WAY TO GO! We have this too, but I ordered the vinyl numbers and lines off etsy.

karen gerstenberger said...

I love this!

Elizabeth said...

I absolutely love this. Will you remind me of it when I get my little one home. Perhaps a good project for spring break and then another thiing to store in my parent's basement! It looks incredible. A top-notch knock off!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Shauna...Shauna...Shauna...I hear an echo. Where are you? At Michael's? Come back to me....

Rosanne and Brian Carter said...

SO SO SO impressed and proud of you!! Don't you just LOVE Pinterest?! I can't wait to move back home just to do all the DIY stuff!!