Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What??

No no no.... I did not approve Maeve's latest decision. No naps. Nope. Not going to do it. Not even going to have quiet time because, if you even try, I will make your life miserable because I'll throw such a fuss, that its probably not even worth it. What??? At least between suggesting sleep, she's mostly sweet and reasonable... mostly. There is that 2.5 year old thing going on :-)

We've been in a bit of a phase lately. I'm going to call it a phase, because it makes me feel better to think that it might end. ha. Since about mid-December Maeve's been experiencing a little separation anxiety when it comes to bedtime. 'Challenging' is a word I would like to throw out there. First off... she makes it very clear that she doesn't want to go 'nigh nigh'!!.... and there is complete and utter despair if I neglect to be within eyesight, or close by, during those pivotal moments of going to sleep. To appease this need, my laundry is folded every night now outside of her room (sometimes I'm just refolding), I'm reading in the hallway, and I clean up my room between making making myself present in her doorway. In addition to that, she wanders into my room in the middle of the night these days and sleeps the remainder of the night in my bed... it was hit and miss before, but now its almost every night. This is a grey area -- its so hard to know how best to approach this and what tactic to take (but I'll take a snuggle or two). I wonder if she's having nightmares because when I suggest sleep, regardless of nap or nightime, she adamently refuses, runs away and then does the collapse thing when I try and pick her up (and how do they weigh so much more when they become limp?) Inevitably, she often falls asleep accidently late in the day while riding in the car or stroller, and then she's impossible to wake up! This doesn't make the nighttime routine any easier, Maeve.... I was rewarded, however, for a no nap day today when she crawled into my arms for a 'needed snuggle' at 7pm and drifted right off to sleep. I feel like I won the lottery! Tomorrow, school starts up again and our early morning and late day routines re initiate... we'll see what happens, but if I always get such an early night back, I'm almost willing to forfeit my daytime break.

****Update. Nevermind. She woke up 45 min into her sleep... crying for 'mommy'.... 'Amy'.... 'Annie'....'Amber'.... 'Dora'.... ha. I was convinced to give 2 more snuggles. I really thought I had a backbone, but, apparently in this particular 'phase' I'm at a bit of a loss due to her sheer agitation -- it just seems like she needs it... or she is solely a great actor, which she can be too. I will err on the side of comfort and reassurance and try to wean my wonderful self away eventually...

I wonder when I can stop wondering about bonding/attaching issues and just assume she's going through the motions of common childhood. I am quite certain that's all it is. We are very well bonded and very well attached.... I mean, she LOVES to attach herself to me at all times :-) We are lucky because I brought her home so early that we haven't had many issues on those fronts...
I love my little snuggly firecracker...



Here Maeve is holding Baby -- her sister, per Maeve. She's really into being a sister lately. Sorry Maeve, its not in the cards for now... but I'm glad you find other options for yourself.

No comments: