Monday, April 25, 2011

Godparents...

I am a firm believer that it takes a village to raise a child. I think this is true regardless of the composition of a family. Maeve is surrounded by amazing people -- people with different experiences and stories that make them unique and awesome. I want the influences of my friends and family to help shape Maeve into the person that she is... I realize that I have only a small window of time where I have total control of who is a part of her life. And, with the knowledge that I am raising a child to live independently in this world, I want her foundation to be solid early on. (But, do not think that I won't be at arms length throughout all her formative years... and beyond)

A relationship that helped shape me growing up was the one I had with my Godparents -- Phil and Cecilia. They embraced this role completely, and I was always made to feel special; more than just another friend of Ann's. I realize that not everyone choses Godparents for their children anymore, but the type of relationship that I had is what I want for Maeve. People who are full of integrity, nurturing, giving, loving, purposeful, and who will look out after Maeve. I could actually list a dozen of people that fit the bill, but I decided to be a little unconventional and pick two sets of Godparents for Maeve, as I couldn't narrow the field any further.



Ann and Mike. Absolutely natural choices. Ann's parents are my Godparents, and how special to carry that on to the next generation. Ann is my oldest friend and someone I love to death. She is so loyal, giving, loving, and encouraging. She is exactly like her mom, who we all miss so much. Mike is the perfect compliment to Ann, with a little bit of crazy on the side. He is so fun, funny, honest, and real. Thank you both for loving Maeve and I the way you do...



And, Annie and Dan. What an unbelievably great surprise they have been. Within the 4 years of really knowing each other, we have bypassed friend status and moved straight to family. I can't imagine living our daily lives without them. They have overwhelmed me with all their love, support, generosity, and selflessness. Oh, and, how they love Maeve... Annie and Maeve have a mutually exclusive relationship where they are both each others' number one fan. Dan is the man in Maeve's life. I just love how they love each other. Thank you so much for investing in Maeve, and me both.

Ann, Mike, Annie, and Dan -- you are incredible people and I thank you for accepting this role in Maeve's life. Maeve is one lucky little girl.

5 comments:

Canada said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
karen gerstenberger said...

What a blessing extended family (family of choice?) is. Blessings to you and Maeve and all of the godparents!

Kristen said...

I love this post, Shauna! How beautifully put. You have a blessed daughter! Many years ago I taught Annie and Dan's daughters in sunday school, they do seem like the most quality of people. Yeah for Maeve!

France said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cj said...

so, so, so, so cool. i love seeing you all surrounded by so much love. hope today (maeve's big party) was amazing. let's celebrate with some shaunamaevecjlancepaxbeckett time soon, ok?