Thursday, January 13, 2011

Growing up :-(

I am knee deep in the book, Brain Rules for Baby, written by John Medina. It is fascinating. I am always intrigued by Maeve and how her little brain is developing, and how she goes about engaging in this world. I am consciously trying to provide the appropriate mold for her to thrive -- but its nice to get some concrete facts to help me sort out this thing called parenting. I think we're doing okay thus far... time will tell. Ha.



Maeve is taking off and doing all things toddler. There is definitely some two year old foreshadowing going on -- her mood swings are impressive at times. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to speak her mind :-) So, when she asks for water and you begin to fill up her cup with water and then she starts freaking out at you because she, in fact, didn't want water... I should have known what she was thinking, right? Or when she adamantly asks for "Baby" to be played in the car and you oblige and play "Baby Beluga" aka "Baby", but apparently that's not the song she really wants to hear but keeps crying "Baby, Baby, Baby" at you anyway... and then I'm trying to reason with her that I am playing the song that she's asking for, and if she wants a different song, maybe she should tell me the name of that song... that equals a fun car ride home for both of us. Ha. Unfortunately, she still has a fascination with the toilet bowl, but her favorite new trick is grabbing the end of the toilet paper and then running out of the bathroom, all the while giggling. But, fortunately, she is still my sweet, sassy, full of beans little girl -- and I could just eat her up....

4 comments:

Shannon- said...

shauna- I've been following for a while- and not sure if I've ever actualy commented. So. HI. But as I read this I just wanted to give you a heads up- it may not be just typical todderishness. What you are describing sounds very similar (exactly) what happens with institutionalized kiddos- and yes- even the infants pick up on how to manipulate adults. The - Milk(give them milk)- NO JUICE (give them juice)- WHERE"S MY MILK- WAAAH JUICE- etc etc etc- is all prove to themselves that they still have control and power and can manipulate. If M is anything like my son- you may quickly start to experience this tactic as a backseat driver- THAT WAY- NO BACK UP- RIGHT GO RIGHT- MUSIC ON!- MUSIC TOO LOUD- MUSIC OFF MOMMA. ugh.... find your humor in it cause i've freaking exhausted of it

Shannon- said...

Sorry- totally should have said- this is just something to be aware of not that it definitely is something to be 'concerned' about or anything like that. Sorry= debbie downer out...

chris said...

Maeve is getting so big :) We miss seeing you, I will have to stop by sometime soon.

shauna said...

Thanks for your comments Shannon -- I will definitely keep that in mind. Fortunately, I do believe she is just going through the normal steps of independence as these moments aren't very frequent and her friends of the same age are doing all the same things too. I just like to post things here because this blog serves as her baby book too, and I when I want to get back at her later in life, I can show her what she put me through :-) I wish you all the best with your son...