Friday, December 31, 2010

Life Resolution

Is it telling that it is officially 88 minutes away from a new year and I am home writing a post on this blog? I am working all weekend and I have a one and a half year old sleeping in her crib upstairs = no party hats or streamers for me this year. But, as I avoid going to bed for some stupid reason, I sit here and read other people's posts about their past year and their upcoming one, and I feel inspired to jot down a few things myself.

2010. What a fantastic year. It was a year that I couldn't have fathomed. I didn't comprehend how amazing being a mom is. I guessed that it would be great, based on how others talked.. but there really is no way to know until you live it. How is it possible to be so entwined in another person's life? Maeve is my world. I find her absolutely fascinating. I am so utterly in love with her that I can hardly stand it sometimes. I laugh with her, and at her, every day. I worry about her. I adore her. And, I can talk about her every minute of the day if I don't keep myself in check.

So, 2011... I can't wait. I have a little person who is full of personality and ready to take life at full speed. I don't typically do new years resolutions but I had already composed a life resolution of sorts -- investing in my daughter. She deserves an engaged and purposeful mom who is committed to show her how to live in this world -- the good with the bad. I feel strongly about providing a safe and nurturing home, being approachable, fun, and spontaneous, providing limits and consistency, purposefully placing people in her life who will encourage her to grow up emotionally strong, healthy, and independent, and who will also join me in loving her unconditionally.

Life is way too unpredictable to not make every moment count. And so, that is what I will strive towards this year, and every year.

Happy New Year!


2 comments:

karen gerstenberger said...

Sounds like a brilliant, balanced resolution. Happy New Year to both of you!

Anonymous said...

Love your resolution !

Happy New Years to and Maeve, we wish you lots of love and happiness for 2011 !

Love Jodie, Dirk, Larissa & Erika
xoxo