Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving...

It goes without saying, that I am thankful every moment of the day for Maeve. But, to break beyond the obvious, I am thankful for living in a country and continent that gives me freedom and opportunity. And, to enhance that -- I am extremely thankful for living in a liberal city. But, above all that, I am thankful for Maeve's health and my health. I am lucky. I could spout out many many more things that I am thankful for, but I will save you the book entry.

Its funny, I have never considered US Thanksgiving "my holiday" because, growing up in Canada, we have our own Thanksgiving in October. Since living in the States, I have just invited myself to other peoples' houses for dinner and have thoroughly enjoyed the "no-strings attached" concept. It only occurred to me last night that US Thanksgiving is now "my" holiday... because its Maeve's holiday now. No worries, we will always celebrate both, because who doesn't want two turkey dinners in the Fall? But, now I will have to start with some family traditions... so we had a nice breakfast this morning. But, let's be honest, I'm sure I'll still be begging for turkey invitations from my friends :-)

Last year, Maeve and I spent Thanksgiving with Stacy on the plane coming home from Ethiopia. So, this second Thanksgiving was a bit different -- we spent the day with Amy's family et al. It was totally relaxed and fun. And, I'm stuffed. There was still a bit of snow left, so we got the kids all dressed and took them sledding in the backyard. It was a highlight of Maeve's day, for sure.

Maeve and Bennett...


A wee mishap...


Putting Amy to work...


Seriously, Mommy... I could do this all day. Can we??


Sledding on her tummy even...


A massive, gigantic snowman... plus Bennett.


Lain showing Maeve the two turkey options...


I can't wait to eat!


Once again, Amy reading stories... Maeve and Maya.

No comments: