Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Trip to the ER...

(Writing is therapy. You can see I'm still somewhat traumatized simply by the length of this post...)

I suppose every kid at some point makes this rite of passage. Maeve checked this off her list last night. (and her Mom still feels sick to her stomach about it). She received a head laceration last night. Once her wound heals and we're a little removed from the event, you can definitely find some humor in the story -- and a story that Maeve will likely tell all her life about the time her Mom hit her over the head with a wine glass (not exactly true, but sadly, me and a wine glass were involved). Again, roll back to a sick stomach and extreme guilt.

Here are the events of the evening. Maeve was supposed to fall asleep at Avery's house while Chris stayed home to watch the two kiddos so that Amber and I could go say "Happy Birthday" to Jenn. Perfect plan up until Maeve got wind of this gathering and decided she didn't want to miss out -- AKA no sleep for Maeve at Avery's house. Fine. Whatev. I'll take Maeve and we'll make a quick appearance and head home from there.

So, all is well at Jenn's house. Maeve is a social butterfly and having a grand time. It was past her bedtime so I was making moves to head out and put the wee one to bed. About two minutes before we had a planned departure, Maeve is clinging to my left leg asking to be picked up. So, I reached down and picked her up with my left arm only because I had a wine glass in my right (I want everyone to note that I hadn't even had a whole glass of wine at Jenn's... I feel my own judgments, therefore I feel the need to explain)... This is where things go array. On the lift up, Maeve became off balanced and started taking a header to the floor. I don't really know what exactly happened next except for that I was doing everything to prevent Maeve from hitting the floor and my right hand swung around to help catch her... long story short, the wine glass shattered and a piece of glass cut her scalp. OMG! Fortunately the party was full of RN's, ARNP's, and PA's and we immediately rinsed and applied a pressure dressing, and off to the ER we went.

(Oh, did I fail to mention that this was a "White Trash Party"?? Can you believe it? White trash to me equals '80's/hooker... I quickly borrowed a sweatshirt from Jenn and switched out my high heels for flats, but there was no hiding the leggings and horrendous make-up! Of all nights for this to occur... I thought for sure a CPS case would be filed simply due to my appearance)

The ER peeps could not have been nicer and more helpful. The Attending did an excellent job and took extra time on the stitches trying to prevent unnecessary scarring. It certainly didn't hurt that I work at Children's and received some visitors from my RN friends while we were there.

All in all, Maeve received 10 stitches and it looks like her lac should heal very well. The only humorous part of the night was Maeve on versed. Life was good with that on board -- she was thinking everything was funny and belly laughing all over the place. She did really really well and it hurt my heart to see her have to endure this trauma. I'm so sorry Maeve. So, I guess I'm out of the running for "Parent of the Year" now...

Maeve hanging out in the ER. She watched her first cartoon and was quite entertained by Beauty and the Beast. And, thank you iPhone for the iTunes feature -- "Baby Beluga" and a lot of her other favorite tunes were played multiple times...


Our new BFF's who patched Maeve up... you can see she's still a little drunk on versed here.


This morning. Good morning Maeve. I guess its going to be a headband type of week...


11 comments:

John and Sarah Pell said...

Oh my, what a night! Poor Mauve but maybe poor mommy more for her bad luck! Yes, this story will probably make you roll on the floor laughing in the near future. Glad she is going to be ok. Our oldest rolled off our bed onto the hard wood floor TWICE before she was 9 months old (once my fault once daddy's fault). We felt horrible and couldn't believe we let it happen twice. We rushed to the baby books the first time it happened, turned to the section on head trauma and read "one of the worst sounds a parent can hear is the thud of their babies head on the floor when they fall off the bed" Phew...it was so good to know others had done the same.....:) We still haven't head our first ER trip but I am holding my breath because Johnny is definitely a dare devil.

Shannon- said...

Oh my gosh! I can only imagine something like that happening to Teg and I. Seriously. I thought I was the only one in the world who would end up with a story like that. (we haven't yet... but I'm sure it's on the horizon...)

Shannon- said...

Poor Baby! Hope she feels better quickly and enjoys the extra attention. (sorry.. clicked too soon.

karen gerstenberger said...

I'm sorry that this happened, for both of you. It's so hard to watch your child suffer, as you know...but it's hilarious to see her on Versed, as you also (now) know! The good news: Maeve will not remember this, and she will heal well. You are a wonderful mom, and accidents happen!

Julie said...

I'm so sorry! What a sucky thing to happen. Hugs to both of you.

Petra said...

She's so adorable! Sorry it happened to you both but I believe you will both be giggling about this one day!

Rachel said...

It happens to all of us sooner or later! http://ifittakesawholelife.blogspot.com/2010/08/half-decade.html

Eastiopians said...

Oh my goodness. I promise I did not laugh until you mentioned your attire. We had to take Macy into an urgent care clinic b/c her sister poked her in the eye with a straw and cut her eyeball...eeek! This was just days before our 6 month report that had to go to Ethiopia. I'm so sorry that this happened to you both. You didn't do anything wrong and I'm glad you had friends at the hospital to come by and cheer you both up. And...her first cartoon?! Ever? Really? Wow. :)

Theresa

Orange Girl said...

Poor Maeve and Mama! Glad that the trauma is relatively easily repaired- no broken bones, etc. And now Maeve has ammunition to throw at you for the rest of your life. Because you know she will. :)

Erin said...

I'm a bit jealous- we got lydocain when Ashi split his head open and I got to pin him down for the stitches. Maeve looks no worse for the wear- she'll forgive you. It does make a very good story for a sassy tweenager to tell her friends later on :)

cj said...

oh. my. word. i feel so sorry. for the 2 of you. glad she's on the mend.