Sunday, May 9, 2010

My 1st Mother's Day...

Its crazy to be on the other side of Mother's Day. What I have come to realize is that Mother's Day is less about your children and family acknowledging you as a Mom, but its more about me acknowledging this amazing gift of a child that I have to love and raise. Certainly all the cards, phone calls, emails, and gifts that I received are totally appreciated and touch me deeply... but, Mother's Day is another excuse for me to look at Maeve and be completely and totally thankful that she is in my life and that I am her Mom. We could not be a better pair.

You hear about it all the time -- children enhance your life. But, I don't think you really know it until you live it. Its totally true. And, to think, had I not stuck to my true feelings and desires and instead, allowed fear and doubt set in, I would not be a Mom today. Becoming a Mom through adoption was the best decision I have ever made.

Mother's Day also makes me think of Maeve's birth mom and how she exemplifies ultimate love -- she loved her child so much that she is allowing me to be Maeve's Mom instead, despite her own deep love for her child. Truly an amazing act of love, courage, and trust.

You never know what life has in store for you... too many of my friends have experienced loss in one form or another. I see loss every single day at work. It scares me, but I can't really let myself think about it. Instead, I hold Maeve close and hug and kiss her everyday. I want to make sure that she knows that her Mom loves loves loves her.

2 comments:

rushhome said...

great post- so true about mother's day being a chance to realize how amazingly blessed we are!

hazel said...

I felt the same way as you, Shauna :-)