Thursday, February 11, 2010

Survived....

Yes. Maeve and I survived our first week of work and daycare. My 5:15am wake ups are going to get old.... Maeve decided to sleep through her 6am alarm this morning and she finally woke up in the car, en route to daycare. Smart girl.

I wondered how it would go. Maeve is tired, but settling into "her school" fairly well, I think. I avoided calling the daycare on her first day because I couldn't bear to know if she was having a bad day... but, the other two days this week, I called for play-by-plays a couple of times. She still needs to nap better, but overall, she's adjusting well.

I wondered how work would affect me, now that I am a mom. I have always thought that our patients' parents are rock stars... now, I'm blown away by them. These parents watch us do horrible things to their children in the hopes of cure. I don't want to imagine being in their shoes. Their love for their children is palpable. I think having Maeve is going to make me a better nurse -- I hope, anyway.

3 comments:

karen gerstenberger said...

I've wondered about this with all of our nurses who have had kids since we left SCCA. I wonder if it makes it harder to do what you do, or if your professional training helps you keep those boundaries. I'm pretty sure you "get it" at a different level of empathy when you have a child at home.
I'm going to see Carin today - looking forward to it! Hugs to you and Maeve.

DeeAnn said...

I've been a pediatric nurse for 20 years. Having B has definitely made me a better nurse as well.

Karla said...

I'm glad to hear the first week went well. It's a tough transition. I can't imagine you being a better nurse than you already are. :)