Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year!!

Maeve and I partied the new year into existence from Winnipeg... or at least I did... Maeve lasted until 10pm. But, not bad little girl, for your first North American New Year...

Clearly, 2009 was a huge year for me. There was an incredible amount of change in my life throughout the entire year. Almost all the changes involved either getting ready for Maeve, or getting Maeve herself. The stresses in my life, over the course of this past year, were more than I've ever experienced. But, in the end, I wouldn't change it for the world. I think the whole process of adopting is the best ever. And, now, I am literally holding my dream in my arms. It is sort of mind blowing to me. I cannot wait to see what 2010 has in store.

I am not one to make resolutions. But, I suppose it does serve a purpose -- its a reminder to act with purpose. One thing that I feel I need to improve in my life is how I treat all people in, and not really, in my life. I was so moved and impressed with how generous the Ethiopian people were to us while we were visiting Addis. And, because I just spent 2 weeks back up in Canada -- and, in its friendliest province, I was reminded, once again, of a culture of overt giving. Why aren't I that giving? I don't mean necessarily of material goods, but with kindness and respect of the other person? I am embarrassed to realize that I don't automatically always think of the next person, and sometimes I'm so caught up in my own thoughts that I don't go out of my way to be extra courteous. So, If I am going to have anything close to a resolution this year, I want that to be it.

Here are some shots of how the night went down:


Maeve is a fierce partier.. But, she's losing steam at this point. In fact, it looks like I am too, but I rallied until well after midnight, I'll have you know.


The kids were way more hard core than I'll ever be. The temperature at midnight would've been close to, or exceeding, minus thirty and they suited up, banged their pots, and blew their noise makers outside.


This is where the adults celebrated the beginning of 2010... in the cozy comfort of an insulated home.


Seemed like a good idea at the time... Todd spent several hours today with a vacuum and tooth pick. Ha.


Some requisite family photos... It was a fantastic, laid back, fun Christmas holiday.


Maeve misses her cousins already


Our family photo...


And, I just had to include this... because this sums up our holiday. Maeve entertaining her fans... She's such a ham and I love her to death.

2 comments:

hazel said...

Happy New Year, Shauna & Maeve!

emily v. said...

i love that your family bangs pots and pans at new years. We always did that growing up and my husband insists that we are the only ones in the world that do it! I can't wait to tell him that your family is crazy fun too. :)
Happy 2010!