Tuesday, December 15, 2009

3 1/2 Weeks...


We've been together 3 1/2 weeks and home 2 1/2 weeks. Its crazy to me because it seems like its been significantly longer. I can't imagine anything else now.

A question I get a lot -- "how are we doing?" Honestly... I have to say, great. Maeve couldn't be a sweeter little baby. And, starting at the 6 month age is awesome. Maeve is breaking me in easy -- she sleeps fantastically. She is averaging anywhere between 12-14 hours a night (that is getting up once or twice to suck down a bottle, but then its straight back to bed)... and then napping 2-3 times during the day. She goes to bed very easily too. Once she's ready to sleep, I'll rock her for a minute and then just put her down in her crib. Most of the time that is all I need to do -- she'll roll to her side, start sucking her thumb, and be out within a minute. Now... I'm not naive. I don't expect this dreaminess to last forever... but, I'm taking it while I have it. And, you never know, right?! But, in reality, her good sleeping habits are probably what is making the difference... I haven't yet had an episode with her yet where I felt like I didn't know what to do with her... (meaning... I haven't gotten to the point where I was too overwhelmed... that'll change no doubt!)

For our first two weeks together Maeve rarely cried, except for when she was hungry or tired. Over the last week, or so, she's starting to express herself more. But, on a scale of difficult baby, she would be on the very low end. In fact, if you're a glass-is-half-full type of person, this is actually good. Maeve feels comfortable enough with me to start the mother-daughter relationship now. And, when she's fussy, I make it a point to throw her in the Ergo -- this way she's positioned better to wail right into my eardrum. jk. Actually, she really likes the Ergo and it seems to be the thing that she is yelling for -- once we're nice and cozy, she stops crying. I love that we're starting to figure each other out and sometimes I can even call her out on some of her cries... once she's been called out, she usually breaks out in a big smile. Cheeky lil' thing.

We're laying low this week as I have been fearful that I'm pushing her too much and overstimulating her... she does so great at home, its easy to forget how much she's been through in her life recently. I don't want to make it harder for her...

4 comments:

JonesEthiopia said...

Seems to me like you're doing great!

karen gerstenberger said...

Every time I visit here, I am blown away by how happy and healthy and perfectly at home she looks - in such a short time! She is precious and beautiful beyond words. I just want to borrow her. You are a great blessing to each other. Talk about a match made in heaven!

Aubrey said...

I just looove her dimples! I'm glad things are going so well!

Orange Girl said...

She sounds soooooo much like Isa was at that age (although a better sleeper than my gal). I may be setting you up for failure but for us, it wasn't a honeymoon phase. Isa truly was an easy going baby and to this day holding her is the best way to calm her down. Sure, we went through the typical toddler woes but Isa's tantrums can't hold a candle to most toddlers'. Here's hoping that Maeve continues to follow in Isa's footsteps!!! :)

Katie