Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Year...

What a difference a year makes. It was on September 11th, 2008 that I mailed my carefully filled out application to AGCI to adopt an infant from Ethiopia. And, exactly 11 months, to the day, I got my referral call for the most precious 2.5 month old baby girl. My world is forever changed and I haven't even met her yet.

So, in the world of adoption there are a lot of hoops to jump through, one very painful workbook to complete, a lot of redundant paperwork to fill out, and a lot of hurry up and wait... but I have seriously loved this year. It has been a year full of preparation. My brain literally hurts, at times, because of all the thinking I do -- I cannot wait to embark on this world of parenthood. But, I also think about the unfairness of life and, because of a devastated country and their absolute desperate need right now, I will now be this little girl's mom, instead of the woman who gave her life. The tragedy is inescapable. Yet, simultaneously I'm filled with awe and anticipation.

So a year. What will my post be like one year from today.... I can hardly fathom it. But I do.

No comments: