Sunday, September 27, 2009

Writer's Block...

So, the likelihood of me meeting Maeve's birthmom, when I travel to Ethiopia, is actually quite high. The nice thing about AGCI, my agency, is that they try to facilitate these meetings between adoptive parents and birth families. I don't even know how to explain how I feel about this -- very grateful is one word. But, anxious, humbled, and saddened.... are some others that pop to mind. What an amazing opportunity -- to meet the person that brought Maeve into this world. To have the opportunity to ask her specific questions -- from the concrete to the hopes and dreams that she holds for her daughter. But, what a horrendously difficult moment for her-- I don't know the details of what led Maeve's birthmom to relinquish her, but I do have an idea of what a devastated country Ethiopia is -- everything from its economic state, food availability, and healthcare is in dire straits. Putting Maeve up for adoption is most likely an act of extreme and unselfish love from a mother to daughter. I can't even fathom it, and thankful that I don't have to.

So, I have just completed creating an iPhoto album to give to Maeve's birthmom when I meet her (I hope I meet her anyway), but am stuck on the letter that I want to write to her. How am I supposed to articulate all my emotions into words. I suspect it will take me some time to get it "just right". So, I will bust through this writer's block and tell this amazing woman my appreciation -- for loving her child so much that I now can love on that same child for the rest of my life.

5 comments:

Eastiopians said...

I wrote the letter to Orange's birth mother last week and it was difficult and humbling to find the right words to express my gratitude to her. Good luck in writing yours, it will mean so much to her birth mother.

Erin said...

The. Hardest. Thing. Ever.
But totally worth it, even if she doensn't make it to the meeting. Make sure you tell her you'll send her updates- that way she'll be more likely to keep returning and if you need info later Almaz might be able to track her down. Good luck!

Sunshine said...

You'll find the words, they'll come to you!

karen gerstenberger said...

I cannot imagine how this relationship would look...two mothers who both love that little girl fiercely, both doing the thing they know to be the most loving, for her sake. Your respect for her birth mother will pave the way. You are going to do beautifully, whether you meet in person or only in your heart.

JonesEthiopia said...

Found your blog through the listserv. We're currently #6 on the list. Just wanted to comment on this post about writing the birthmother letter. It was by far the hardest thing I've ever had to write. (We are currently on our 2nd ET adoption.) It took me probably several weeks to write it. What do you say to the woman who gave you her child so you can be a parent? I had no idea. In the end, I spoke from my heart and I hope shared the love I felt for her and for my beautiful daughter. I promised her I would love and care for our baby and that we would do everything we could so that she would live a happy life.