Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The call....

Its surreal to be writing about "the moment".... It hasn't fully sunk in yet. I just keep staring and staring at the four photos that were sent to me. I even went as far as making a slideshow out of the four photos, just to mix things up a little!

The moment. It was somewhat classic. I had been doing some painting, of course, this morning.... I was going to pound out my room and be done with it today. I ran out of paint... therefore I was running out the door to visit my peeps at Lowes, once again, when I heard my landline ring. Often I just let that ring slide... but since I moved and got caller ID, I am now more interested in seeing who is calling... so I ran upstairs to grab the phone. OMG... It said AGCI on the Caller ID. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! "Hi Julie!"

Julie was super cheerful, as always, and had explained that she had been trying to track me down. Of course. I had left my cell phone somewhere upstairs... no longer was I hypervigilant about the phone.... she had called my cell, she had called work, and now was trying me on my landline. I don't remember the finer details of the start of the conversation, but eventually Julie told me that she wanted to talk to me about a little girl. It was amazing.... I got to hear the little bit about her and hear how beautiful she is. And, she really is. The pictures I received are amazing. As I mentioned on my previous post -- she is 2.5 months old, 11.5 lbs and perfect! She's got chubby cheeks, sweet lips, a head of curly black hair, and eyes to die for. She's super duper cute. I can't post photos or say her given name online because she's an orphan and Ethiopian rules prohibit it... So, here is a glimpse of the sweetness.


After I got off the phone with Julie I started making phone calls and emailing people. It is so fun to share such amazing news. I set up an appointment with an International Pediatrician this afternoon and afterwards left Julie a message saying I was definitely accepting this referral. My pediatrician was very happy with what she saw and all the information that was provided. What's next? Julie will courier me documents that need to be signed, notarized, and quickly returned to her so that everything is set in place for me to get a court date in Ethiopia.... Maybe October/November? It would probably be too much to hope for any earlier than that....

I celebrated by going over to Carin and Jeff's this evening.... and then dinner with the girls. We had already planned on celebrating my belated birthday, as some of the posse couldn't come to the party.... but it was amended as a referral celebration instead.




She makes me smile.....



So here begins another chapter of my life. Again, I smile.

8 comments:

Eastiopians said...

It's just classic that you were painting before getting the call! :) I am SO happy for you!!!! Let's take a moment to jump up and scream in joy together, ready....

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

High five! Hug! Clink of wind glass!

Theresa

gayle said...

I am so amazed how much Maeve looks just like you in her picture...at least the little bit that you were able to show us! The mouth is just how you used to pucker up just before you used to start crying when Leah took one of your toys, or when Todd knocked you over! It is amazing! I cannot wait until you can show us her entire photo!
Love you, Shauna-na!
You are bringing back lots of adoption memories!
I'm just bummed it wasn't your Aunt Gayle you asked to go with you to pick up Maeve!
Love,
Aunt Gayle

karengberger said...

How wonderful. I'm so happy for you, and I love her name. God bless you & Maeve!

The B Family said...

"The Call" posts are my favorites! And I love the little peeks and glimpses of sweetness! So happy for you!

Erin said...

I can tell she's ridiculously adorable! I can't wait to meet her.

haze said...

What a sweet glimpse at little Maeve. She looks absolutely gorgeous.

I am so tempted to post a glimpse of Biset...I may cave.

I love reading about your call. How typical that your s/w couldn't reach you on two other phones - and you were painting, of course.

the story of a family said...

Congratulations!! I still haven't come down from the high. I can't really focus enough to write about our call yet as I am completely scatter brained. Hope that your court date comes soon! Maybe we will be able to travel together!

Sarah Pell
www.thestoryofafamily.blogspot.com

Mama Papaya said...

Many, many, many congratulations Mama!