Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Swag vs. Wild Pigs...

Everyone. Absolutely everyone that has their own child has taken upon themselves to tell me that I won't know what will hit me when I become a parent. I will no longer be carefree and single. I work with kids. I have friends with kids. I have nieces and nephews. I'm not afraid of kids. BUT... I am very aware that my world will be rocked when I have sole responsibility 24/7 over a young, innocent, and vulnerable life. And, apparently they're quite needy. ha. But, I'm so excited for it (I may need to be reminded of this intermittently in the future!)

So, I have decided to make the most of my carefree days while I have them. When I officially applied to adopt in September, I had already cashed in my air miles for an epic trip this May -- Outback take 2 in Western Australia with my sister and brother-in-law (who live down under). I considered... should I cancel my trip... save a little money, save more holiday days... I pondered and pondered. Or, should I take advantage of the fact that I won't be able to do big adventures like this for awhile.. and have one last hurrah before my world is turned around?! Adventure won.

It turns out it may, in fact, actually be my last adventure, literally. My sister and brother-in-law have kindly been sending me updates on where we're going and what we'll be doing. Bring it on.... I'm stoked. My sister keeps telling me that she's getting the cush rooftop tent and I'll have to fend for myself in my "swag". Today they just sent me a picture of my sleeping accommodation... no problem. I can sleep anywhere and in anything, I don't care. And then I remembered the picture they had sent me of the steroid-injected wild pig recently caught and killed in the area that we'll be exploring. Apparently my swag will keep the mosquitoes out though.... So that's something....
Above is my swag bag.... looks cozy right?!

Below is the wild pig they caught in the area we are traveling. Bring it.....

6 comments:

Julie said...

Whoa. That is a mighty big pig.

Jessica Knitter said...

That is not a pig i's a monster! Yuck!

Anonymous said...

Again, I cannot believe you are CHOOSING this. Totally insane! I can't wait to hear the deets though.

Signed,
By The Pool

Eastiopians said...

Um, yikes. Make sure you put your swag in between several small trees that can encircle your tent like a fortress. Have a blast on your trip!

The Hoke Family said...

Did Leah & Andrew take out a life insurance policy on you??? As always, I'm living my life vicariously through YOU! ;)

And just think... when your little girl arrives; you'll be giving new moms the exact same advice everyone is giving to you now. It's your given right as a mom! ;)

haze said...

Are you sure that's a pig?

You definitely chose right with the trip. Do it while you can. But remember, you'll have a whole different sort of adventure when you become a mom. YAY!!