Thursday, January 8, 2009

A New Year




I have been very quiet this week, mostly on purpose. I have been doing a lot of thinking. I am always trying to take good out of bad and figure out how to live well. But, I need to allow myself to feel what I feel and not just cover up my emotions with band-aids. It is a new year, full of potential and possibilities. I have a lot to look forward to, and there will be plenty of changes – it will be a huge year in my life no doubt. I am so curious to meet my daughter and see what life has in store for the two of us. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed – by excitement, nervousness, joy, and the unknown. With so many friends around me having babies, it serves as a concrete reminder of what my world will look like in about a year. Again, I'm choosing to live it up while I can…. I'll just "live it up" differently later.

So, what is going on in the adoption world? It is a common question that is asked and I don't really have any new answers at the moment. The whole process moves at tortoise pace, but it's just the way it goes. My social worker will begin to work on writing out my Homestudy report next week. After that is all completed I should be able to send in all my other documents and finally get on the much anticipated "waiting list".

How excited am I that I managed to get out and enjoy the nice snow before the warm weather came in and destroyed it – and brought massive flooding and avalanches in its wake. I was giddy as I was carving turns at Crystal Mountain and cutting a path up Snoqualmie with my snowshoes last weekend. There's nothing like getting out in the mountains, especially with clear skies and powder snow. Tomorrow is supposed to be our annual girls weekend to Leavenworth – we may be kyboshed again this year. Last year the passes were all shut down on our weekend due to heavy snow… this year they've been closed due to several avalanches. We may need to amend the time of year we take our annual "snowy holiday" next year. We'll see what happens… regardless we'll manage to find somewhere to have fun.

Of note, I finally managed to watch the New Years Eve fireworks from my place this year… there have been several parties at my place hosted by friends in previous years in my absence. So, now I can check it off my list. A few of us gathered and wished each other a Happy New Year… and promptly all went to bed within a half hour of the new year. I feel like that may be a sign that I'm getting old. Whatev.

1 comment:

Amber said...

we are in very similar spots in our adoption. We just got our homestudy finished and are about to ship out our Dossier for that great waiting list.