Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Taken way too soon....


Ben.... July 17, 2005 - December 30, 2008

I don't have the words at the moment.... I am so sad. I know I'm stuck in a state of denial and haven't processed it thoroughly yet. I am not ignorant to the injustices that some people have to endure -- I see it every day at work. But, I am still left reeling trying to understand the why's sometimes. Despite the barriers I try to establish to protect my heart, there are some kids and families that break through and take a hold, and there is nothing to be done about it. This little guy and his family managed just that. Ben could not have been more loved by his amazing parents, brother, and family. His mom has written an amazing account of this horrendous journey they have lived over the last year and a half... you can read it here. It is written with heart, humor, and frank honesty.

2 comments:

karengberger said...

Shauna, I'm thrilled that I found your blog! I'm going to add you to my blogroll so I can keep up.
I'm so sorry to see the news about little Ben. I remember hearing about him, months ago. May God comfort your heart (and his family's).
Congratulations on your plans to adopt. You will be the best mother imaginable. You are for sure one of the best nurses on earth, and one of our VERY favorites (it was great to see photos of some of our other beloved caregivers in your photos).
Gregg & I loved the VW van camping photos from your childhood. Priceless.
Please give our love to your colleagues, and tell Amber she looks gorgeous (and so does her baby).
Please let us know if you are coming our way; we'd LOVE to see you. God bless you.

Julie said...

I'm so sorry.