Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Weekend of Fun....




The last few days have been filled with fun and catch-up. On Friday, Ann and Mike and their two kids came down from Vancouver to attend a wedding... it was fun to have them spend the night and babysit Kaya and Zane while Ann and Mike went to the wedding. The next day Amy and I threw Amber a baby shower with the work peeps. It was really great to celebrate Amber and her sweet new baby girl we get to meet in about a month.
On Sunday, I participated in my second triathlon this summer... Chelsea and I each signed up in the team category and we each coerced appropriate ringers for the legs that we didn't want to do. I refuse to swim at this point because I will sink straight to the bottom (its true -- I took 3 swim lessons this summer and my instructor confirmed that I sink!) and I'm not convinced that anyone will notice in the middle of the open water swim...... By the end of it, we all survived and I'm pretty sure we won as they handed me a "gold" medal when I crossed the finish line! ha ha
Because we needed some R & R, Chels and I took off to recupe at her parent's cabin on the coast. It is so peaceful there... naps were taken, movies watched, and a fun water adventure involving a rowboat, an abandoned sailboat, and a speedboat took place. Thankfully we survived, and exercised our abdominal muscles from all the laughing. It was fantastic to be back at the cabin because it was there, several weeks ago, that Chels and I had a very lengthy discussion about me adopting a child from Ethiopia. Chelsea is a type of friend that everyone should have -- she is extremely compassionate and caring and is willing to ask the difficult questions. Her questions served as a catalyst for what I was already thinking -- but helped move thought into action. It is amazing how life can change so dramatically in a relatively short period of time.
On Monday, I had my orientation phone call with Megan from AGCI -- which pretty much explained the process of adoption, what AGCI does to aid this process, and what to expect over the next year and beyond. Most of what she explained I had already read from the information package, but I think its really nice that they are proactive to ensure adoptive parents feel comfortable and are given the opportunity to ask questions. My next step is to sign the appropriate contracts, get them notarized and send them back to the agency. At that point AGCI will send me my Dossier requirements, and my Homestudy package... So, then I can begin on the fun of gathering all the necessary documents. Fun!

1 comment:

Super Mom said...

Hi Shauna, I clicked over from another AGCI blog. Nice to "meet" you. I'm looking forward to following your journey!

Erin (AGCI waiting)